Following last year’s little experiment to see where in the world people I knew spent their New Year’s eve, I asked them all again. Why? Because I’m curious about where people spend their time off (you’d be amazed at how many ideas for weekends away have been added to the bank).
Again, I sent a WhatsApp location pin, and they sent theirs straight back.
The stats from the 104-strong group who participated:
- 44,2% of people were at home (or nearby) – similar to last year
- 43,3% of people traveled locally – a little less than last year
- 46,5% of the SA’ns who traveled locally went to the East coast – 23% down from last year
- 11,6% of the SA’ns were at the Vaal River
- 12,5% of people traveled internationally – more than last year
- 87,5% of people enjoyed a summer New Year’s – similar to last year
- People still go to some weird-ass places
- People still share info too easily. I love it.
Basic review: More people traveled abroad, and South Africans have decided to spend less time on the East coast and more time inland.
Thanks again for everyone who contributed, looking forward to see what happens next year.