On New Year’s eve, I did a little experiment by sending a select group of friends and family a Whatsapp message simply saying:
Happy New Year!In this crazily connected world, and in an attempt to get as many towns/cities/countries/
continents connected for New Year as possible, please send me a pin/location of where you’re celebrating New Year’s tonight? Ours below.Here’s to a crazy awesome 2017!
I also included a location pin to where we were. I was overwhelmed by the responses, and below is a big world view of where I received messages from. Pretty cool, I thought.
A few stats from the 92 respondents:
- 44,5% of people were at home (or nearby)
- 45,6% of people traveled locally
- 69% of the South Africans who traveled locally went to the east coast
- 9,9% of people traveled internationally
- 86,9% of people enjoyed a summer New Year’s (everyone in South Africa, and John in Equador)
- People go to some weird-ass places
- People share their exact locations far too freely… 🙂